The Bachelor of Science in Education, in Elementary Education, program of study is one of two paths to K-6 teacher licensure at the University of Arkansas. (The other is a five-year combined bachelor's and master's degree.) Candidates make application to the program during their sophomore year. Education pedagogy courses are taken during the sophomore, junior and seniors years of the program. Candidates complete their public school internship during the fall and spring semesters of their senior year.
Admission to the B.S.E. in Childhood/Elementary Education is limited and consists of a three-stage process.
Stage I: Pre-Childhood Education
- Complete all program pre-requisites including the first 60 hours of the 8-semester plan.
- Obtain the minimum GPA requirement (2.7 for catalog years through 2012; 3.0 for 2013 catalogs or later) on the 60 hours of pre-requisite courses, either from the UA or on transfer coursework.
- Complete all program pre-requisite courses with a "C" or better.
- Obtain a passing score on the Math, Reading, and Writing sections of the Praxis Core, or qualifying exemption scores from the ACT or SAT or GRE.
- Apply to Teacher Education for accredition, licenusre, and background checks.
Stage II: Admission to the Childhood Education Program
Admission to the Childhood/Elementary Education Program occurs after completion of all Pre-Childhood Education requirements and prior to the beginning of the fall semester of the junior year. Applications to the Childhood and Elementary Education programs must be submitted by noon Jan. 31.
The application process includes:
- Submission of Childhood/Elementary Education Application and Agreement Form
- Candidates wishing to pursue the M.A.T. program will declare an area of concentration and may choose between ESL, STEM, Reading Focus (Dyslexia), or GT.
- Pre-requisite Degree Check Sheet
- Submission of Writing Sample
- Submission of transcripts for all coursework
- Submission of a cleared application to Teacher Education
- Verification of cumulative GPA at or above 3.0
- Oral Interview with Childhood Education Admissions Committee
- Interviews occur in February.
Stage III: Requirements for Progression into Internship
- Take and pass the Praxis II: Multiple Subjects (#5001) assessment exam.
- Complete and pass Mid-Program Assessment.
- Cumulative GPA at or above 3.0.
- M.A.T. students: Submit application to UA Graduate School
- Complete CPR Certification.
- Complete pre-internship requirements with partner schools.
For any questions about the application process, please contact Mellissa Goodger by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 479-575-4201.