Bachelor of Science in Education

The Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.E.) program does not include initial licensure as outlined by the Arkansas Department of Education for K-12 public classroom teaching. Private and or charter classroom teaching in the state of Arkansas does not require a state of Arkansas K-12 teaching license; however, a bachelor’s degree in an education field is traditionally required.

Educational Studies B.S.E. graduates may obtain a state of Arkansas teaching license for public classroom teaching by completing one the following options after graduation should they desire a K-12 public classroom placement:

  1. Masters of Arts in Teaching program at an accredited institution
  2. Arkansas Professional Pathway to Educator Licensure (APPEL)
  3. Arkansas Teacher Corps
  4. Teach for America
  5. American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE)
  6. Provisional Professional Teaching License
  7. Reciprocity of a License from Another State

EDST B.S.E. graduates may also apply for teaching positions in public K-12 Arkansas schools that have successfully applied for ACT 1240 hiring petitions through the state Education Department. The College of Education and Health Professions, the Department of Curriculum and Instruction or the Educational Studies Program at the University of Arkansas do not provide hiring/job placement or licensure application services. It is the responsibility of program graduates to apply for licensure, should that be a career goal.