I am currently the program coordinator for educational studies at the University of Arkansas where I oversee program administration and serve as the primary program instructor. Educational studies is an education major that stresses the role of education in a society as the unifying force between traditional social institutions. The educational studies program is the premier education, non-licensure, program in the state of Arkansas. Approximately 50% of program graduates eventually go on to complete their initial state licesure certification.
Service towards the University of Arkansas includes serving on the University ROTC Program Committee, Univeristy Curriculum & Programs Committee, NTT Faculty Committee, COEHP Curriculum & Programs Committee, and as Technology Director for the University of Arkansas Clinic for Literacy. I also serve as faculty mentor for the Razorback Baseball team and assist the teams student-athlete academic advisor with academic support when called upon..
In my pre-pandemic free time I could be found enjoying baseball games at Baum-Walker Stadium or at one of Fayetteville's local coffee shops grading, reading, or editing photos. My pandemic entertainment specialties include walking the trails of Fayetteville, binge watching Netflix/Hulu, and even more reading.
- Religious Education & Religion in Public and Private School Settings
- History of Educational Practices
- Disciplinary Literacy in Science Education
- Religious Literacies in Society
- Pop Culture Influences in Education
- History of Education
- Case Law for Educators
- Educational Philosophy
- Children's & Young Adult Literature
- Religious Education
EDST 2003 - Introducation to Educational Studies [teach/designed]
EDST 3003 - Formative Readings in Cultural Education [teach/designed]
EDST 3113 - Legal Developments in Education [teach/designed]
EDST 3223 - American Educational History [teach/designed]
EDST 3333 - Children's & Young Adults Literature in Educational Settings [teach/designed]
EDST 3913 - Formal Classroom Based Internship in Education [supervise/designed]
EDST 3923 - Informal Based Intership in Education [supervise/designed]
EDST 399V - Special Topics - Education through Space and Time: A Study in Doctor Who and Education [teach/designed]
EDST 399V - Special Topics - The Sequels to Children's & Young Adult Literature [teach/designed]
EDST 4003/H - Philosophy and Inquiry in Education [teach/designed]
EDST 4113 - Teaching and Funding Outdoor and Informal Education [intial design]
EDST 4213 - Religion, Education, & Religious Education [teach/designed]
EDST 4913 - Capstone & Final Internship in Education [teach/designed]
CIED 498VH - Honors Thesis/Project in Curriculum and Instruction
- Ph.D., University of Georgia, Language & Literacy Education, 2014
- Graudate Certificate for Interdiscipiliary Quatlitative Studies, Univeristy of Georgia, 2014
- M.Ed., Clemson University, Natural Science Education, 2009
- B.S., Clemson University, Science Teaching, 2005
- B.S., Clemson University, Biological Sciences, 2003
- Alvermann, D., Hutchins, R., & DeBlasio, R. (2012). Adolescents’ engagement with Web 2.0 and social media: Research, theory, and practice. Research in the Schools, 19(1), 33-44.
- Hutchins, R. (2012). Forms of capital, modern communication, & Gossip Girls: The potential for engaging reluctant reading students through popular culture. READ: Reading,Exploration, and Discovery, 31(1), 41-46.
- Hutchins, R., Massara, S., & Weingartner, L.. (2018, September). Why Teahcer-Educators Need Religious Litearcy Instruction. Annual meeting fo the Arkansas Association of Teacher Educators, Searcy, AR.
- Alvermann, D., Whitley, J., Collins, A., Daniels, J., Edwards, N., Friese, E., Hutchins, R., Marsh, J., & Rush, L.. (2017, December). A Longitudinal Critical Inquiry into Adult Literacy Tutoring Programs in Public Libraries. Annual Meeting of the Literacy Research Association, Tampa, FL.
Hutchins, R. (2017, October). Using Literature to Bridge Misunderstandings Between Science and Religion in the Secondary Classroom. Annual meeting for the International STEM Education Association, Branson, MO.
Hutchins, R. & Wise, J. (2017, October). Educational Studies: Not All Education Undergraduate Programs Should Focus on Producing Classroom Teachers. Southeastern Regional Association of Teacher Educators, Rogers, AR, October.
Hutchins, R. & Lorah, E. (2016, September). Educational Studies: The Need for Non-Licensure Education Programs. Annual meeting of the Arkansas Association of Teacher Educators, Russellville, AR.
Hutchins, R. (2016, July). Save Our Schools: On the March to Save and transform Public Schools. Hosted by the Save Our Schools Coalition, Washington, DC.
Hutchins, R. (2014, September). Educational Studies: Internship Opportunities for Your Educational or Non-Profit Agency. Annual meeting of the Arkansas Environmental Educators, Huntsville, AR.
Hutchins, R., & Alvermann, D. (2011, November). A Move from Digital Literacies to “Turn-Around” Pedagogies. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Literacy Education and Researchers in Richmond, VA.
- Hutchins, R. (2011, November). Making Authentic LGBTQ Characters Available in Youth &Adolescent Literature. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers in Richmond, VA.
Univeristy of Arkansas - Associate Professor - Teaching and Program Coordinator, Educational Studies, 2020 - present.
University of Arkansas - Clincal Assistant Professor and Program Coordinator, Educational Studies, 2014-2019.
University of Georgia - Laboratory Instructor, Marine & Aquatic Research Science, 2014.
Athens Academy - Academic Support, 2009-2014
University of Georgia - Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Reading Clinic Assistant and Instructor, 2009-2013
Greenwood High School & Northside Middle School - Science teacher, 2008-2009
Pickens High School - Science teacher, soccer coach, 2006-2008
Stratford High School - Science teacher, 2005-2006
2015-16 - Outstanding Advising Award, Department of Curriculum of Instruction
2016-17 - Nominated, Outstanding Advising Award, College of Education and Health Professions
Nominated, Outstanding Advising Award, University of Arkansas
2017-18 - Nominated, Outstanding Advising Award, Colege of Education and Healh Professions