Ph.D. Degree Requirements
After acceptance into the program, the candidate for the Doctor of Philosophy degree must meet the general University degree requirements, and complete a minimum of 102 semester hours of graduate study approved by the Doctoral Advisory Committee, including 30 credit hours earned on this campus for those with a U of A master's degree, 36 credit hours for those with a non-UA master's degree.
The program of study for the Doctor of Philosophy candidate must include the following:
1. 33 semester hours or more in an approved master's degree program
2. 15 hours in research and statistics to include the following:
- ESRM 6403 Educational Statistics and Data Processing
- ESRM 6413 Experimental Design in Education
- ESRM 6623 Techniques of Research in Education
3. Six additional hours from the following:
- ESRM 6423 Multiple Regression Techniques for Education
- ESRM 6453 Applied Multivariate Statistics
- ESRM 6533 Qualitative Research
- ESRM 6653 Measurement and Evaluation
- Other 5000- or 6000-level classes with approval of advisory committee
4. 25 semester hours of the curriculum and instruction to include 3 semester hours of curriculum development, 3 semester hours in instructional theory, 3 semester hours of multicultural education, 6 semester hours of internship, and 9 hours of CIED electives.
5. 12 semester hours in the cognate field approved by the Doctoral Advisory Committee
6. 18 semester hours or more of dissertation minimum
Electives/cognate hours may include specialization in a content area; no more than six (6) hours may be taken as independent study.